Do you need an elevation certificate?

Home   /   Flood Insurance   /   Do you need an elevation certificate?

Floods mean rising water. An Elevation Certificate (EC) documents your building’s elevation. If your home or business is in a high-risk area, your insurance company will ask for need an Elevation Certificate to determine your flood insurance premium. Comparing your building’s elevation to the estimated height floodwaters will reach in a major flood will help determine your flood “risk” and the cost of your flood insurance.

The Base Flood Elevation (BFE) is the elevation that floodwaters are estimated to have a 1 percent chance of reaching or exceeding in any given year. The higher your lowest floor is above the BFE, the lower the risk of flooding. Naturally, lower risk typically means lower flood insurance premiums.

For more information and to determine if you need a New EC, read the FEMA and HFIAA FactSheet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Find Us

11 Crested Butte Ct.
Shamong, NJ 08088-8227

Call Us

Toms River, NJ
tel: 732-286-1110
fax: 800-731-8880

Haddonfield, NJ
tel: 856-429-1448
fax: 856-429-5551

Ocean City, NJ
tel: 609-399-4414
fax: 609-399-1823

Shamong, NJ
tel: 609-268-0311
fax: 609-268-1890

%d bloggers like this: